Sunday 26 March 2006

Scotland - The Smoking Ban

This is the second year running that the weekend the clocks go forward, and 26 March specifically, has been notable and much looked forward to. In 2005 it was the return of "Doctor Who" but this year it's the Scottish smoking ban.

I rather have to pinch myself that I'm not dreaming - I can't believe what I'd always hoped for (well since about aged 6) has come to pass so decisively without any John Reid style idiocy. And if the Scottish Parliament never does anything else worthwhile, I'll praise them for this measure - the one in which we embarassed the rest of the UK to follow.

Smoking is also one of the 2 main things that has blighted my social life since returning to Scotland. I'm meant to go to gay bars and clubs being a gayer myself, but apparently there is an unwritten rule that all gayers should smoke and, if they've been unsuccessful at the qualifying round, they should put up with those who do for there are no 'non-smoking' areas in gay bars.

This week I may have a chance to visit some otherwise fine establishments in Glasgow, who allowed smoking throughout without a thought to proper inclusivity, and I can promise that if any bar is breaking the rules I'll be reporting it. Does anyone have the number by the way?

Oh, and anyone who knows some "anti-PC" non-smoker who promises they'll start smoking in spite of this 'draconoian' measure, please pass them the fags and call their bluff.

No comments:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin