Friday 30 June 2006

Doctor Who - speculation on the 2006 series climax (includes vague spoilers)

This morning I made the mistake of reading the Wikipedia entry on the last two episodes (don't go if you don't want spoiled). However, the spoilers have been garnered merely by paying detailed/freeze-framed attention to the "Radio Times", the preview from last week and the full-fat trailer running on BBCTV and the website. I've linked to a screencap site in the title if you wish to do your own spotting

Basically, the tagline could be "the gang's all here" - including, apparently, the 9th Doctor in flashback - and I'm not sure they can pull everything off, even in 90 minutes. And, alongside the fate of Rose and family, the big 'hook' is something I really thought best not even attempted. This also has to be the pay-off for all those laboured "Torchwood" references, setting up the eponymous spin-off AND wedge in 'sleb cameos from Barbara Windsor and the like. I'm also not convinced we've heard the last of "Bad Wolf" or that we've correctly interpreted the Beast's apparently simple prophecy some weeks back.

I'll know by late on the 8th of July whether I feel the production team have succeded - just now I feel it will be really good or really bad, and either way awkward to follow, especially in the form of a Christmas special.

No comments:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin