Tuesday 4 April 2006

The Smoking Ban 2

I've had the chance to visit both gay and 'str8' pubs in Glasgow, Dunfermline and Edinburgh now.

One thing is for sure - the ban on smoking has not emptied them. I was in Lloyds at the Omni Centre yesterday evening and for the first time ever I couldn't find a seat!This was around 6pm on a Monday. Even more bizarre was that the smoking area outside was largely empty for much of the time, even on a sunny April day.

The exception may be the gay pubs and clubs. I went straight on to 'Planet Out' and found myself rattling around with about half a dozen people (that included the barman). On the upside, I got cruised twice during my short stay - that almost NEVER happens! Again some gay non-smokers are setting foot in these places for the first time now that the smoke has cleared.

This may all be a novelty effect in the early weeks and will settle again. However if the increase in demand I saw at Lloyds continues, the hospitality industry is going to have to consider increasing capacity

No comments:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin